This project was introduced by looking at pictures of real zebras on google images. We discussed how zebras camoflauge themselves and what their color scheme is -- black and white. However, on this project we were going to change our color scheme.
We began by drawing a zebra using shapes onto a piece of tagboard. Our tag board happens to be the white sides of a tv dinner box. Rectangle body, two diagonal lines for the neck, oval head, triangle tail, and traced tongue depressors for the legs.
We traced everything with black sharpie and then students began to color their zebras with only 4 colors to create a "color scheme". We used the classic crayola markers in "Assorted colors" which gave us more pastel options. I encouraged students to color with patterns.
Students then cut out their zebras. Some did not complete this the first day, so they began the second session by cutting the zebra out. The second week of this project students began by selecting a small piece of neon scrap paper. We cut a "fringe" to make it appear more like hair. This hair is glued to the back of the neck. Also a small piece is glued to the tail
We glued our zebra onto a black construction paper background to make the colors appear even more bright. (4 1/2 x 6" black paper)
Lastly, we glued our construction paper with the zebra onto a large piece of manila paper. (My school was throwing old manila chart paper out and I snagged it!) We created a zebra stripe on the manila frame using a piece of corrogated cardboard and purple paint. The original plan used black paint, but we were out. So... obviously any color will do with some imagination :)
I love how different each zebra is!
This project took 2 forty minute classes.
tagboard/tv dinner cardboard
pencils and erasers
crayola markers in bright colors
4 1/2 x 6" black construction
any size paper for the frame... any color
Paint - any color
Corrogated cardboard cut into squares - one per child