Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jive Turkey!

Every year around Thanksgiving the kids are getting antsy. I do a silly little drawing with all of them that keeps things fun and light to survive the days before we get out. We create Jive Turkeys! These cool dudes will not be on the serving dish this Thanksgiving. They will be out dancing and boogeying until the wee hours of the morning. They are turkeys with "attitude."


I'm afraid I don't have examples that the students did because I send them home the day we do the drawing.

Jive Turkey 1

We start by drawing the head as a circle, then work our way down the body using lines and shapes. We draw a horizon line for our dance floor and a disco ball above. Students could choose the attire of their turkeys and even add hair if chosen.
I did more guidance though with my 1st graders and Kinders to simplify the process for them. 2nd grade and up can come up with many good ideas on their own. 

Jive Turkey 2


We drew first with pencil, traced with marker, then colored with crayons. Although, just drawing the whole thing first in black crayon works well with K's so that they don't start coloring all over everything they just drew with marker. This can take between 1 or 2 forty minute classes depending on how quickly your kids move.

With my 2nds and younger I will actually teach them the hustle that they perform down the hallway back to their classrooms. Its mostly for my amusement, but they get a kick out of it too.

Yay for Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment