Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Can't Resist New Books

Our school book fair is being held this week and I can't seem to help myself when the scent of fresh books are in the air. The first book I found was Ten Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin and illustrated by Lois Ehlert. This is a great counting book for little ones (I'm thinking I'll read it to my Preks - 1sts) and at the end illustrates various types of butterflies and interesting facts about them. Excellent story book to start off a butterfly project in the spring.



Next I found Ocean Soup: Tide Pool Poems by Stephen R. Swinburne and Mary Peterson. These poems are clever and cute. I love the simple illustrations and the fun facts around the poems on the pages. Great reference for when we create Ocean/Seascape resists.


Next I found a book that really I didn't have a need for in my classroom, but I love this series. It holds a special place in my heart since I recall the original "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" from my childhood. The latest in this series is If You Give a Dog a Donut by Laura Numeroff.


Lastly, I got a silly book Aliens Love Underpants by Claire Freedman. I love the illustrations and the story is very funny. I imagine my 1st through 3rd or 4th graders would love it. Not sure when I'll use it, perhaps if we create symmetrical alien collages or drawings.


Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment