Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Springy Insects

This week my 2nd and 1st graders have been working on spring insect pictures. With my 2nd graders we created Butterfly Prints! This turned out to be a learning experience for me in getting them to follow the procedures I had planned... even then... a large percentage of them had a tough time letting loose on their art work not being perfect.

We began with pencils, 9 x 12" white construction paper, water container, and yellow-orange-and black paint in a container. (This is a tv dinner tray)  I also like to use old ugly construction paper under their art work to protect the tables.

Then I had students fold their paper in half (hamburger style) like a card or book. We wrote our names with pencil on the back. Then they opened their paper and drew a large number 3 next to the right side so that the top and bottom of the 3 touched the fold.

We painted the number 3 with yellow paint, then folded the paper to print. We repeated this a few times with shapes inside the wings then went on to use orange and lastly black paint.

Fold printing isn't new, but I did get inspired for this idea from www.artprojectgirl.blogspot.com

Then with my 1st graders we created Ladybug Landscapes. This project took 2 weeks. We first read the book The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle. Little kids love this book!

Then we created the landscape by drawing a horizon line at the bottom of a piece of white paper and coloring below with brown crayon. We drew white clouds with white crayon then did a watercolor wash with blue for the sky.

The second day we created the grass and the ladybugs. We first cut long blades of grass from a piece of 4 1/2 x 6"  piece of green construction paper. I emphasized that making one end pointed like a triangle could appear more like real grass. Also they could vary the lengths and widths of each blade.

Then we created the ladybugs on a small piece of red construction paper. Initially I let students draw free hand their circles, but I found they drew entirely too small. So for many I gave them lids to trace to help with the sizing. They drew black dots on the body with black sharpie (although you could subtitute black crayon as well). Cut them out, glued them onto the grass on various heights. Then they used the sharpie to add a curved line head, six legs, and antenna.

I love these! So cute!

Between the frogs, ladybugs, and butterflies my art wall display is set up for spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment