Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Silly Pumpkins are too fun!


 
 
I have seen these pumpkins before online from various locations. I thought they looked so fun I gave them a whirl with my kindergarteners this year.


We spent 2 weeks on this project.  The first week we read a book about the life cycle of a pumpkin. There is an assortment of books out there on the subject so most any one would do. Then students painted a 9 x 12" piece of white paper with orange and yellow tempera paint. We left them to dry.

(Front and back of paper)

The second week I pre-drew an oval on the back of each student's paper.
I also set up the tables with small pieces of white and black paper (2 x 2 inches), a 4 1/2 x 6 inch piece of black paper, and one small green piece of paper.

(Table set up. Pink box has pencils, red tray contains paper)


We began by cutting out our ovals. Students had to decide whether they wanted a tall pumpkin or a short and wide pumpkin.

Then we drew a rainbow across our 4 1/2 x 6 piece of black paper. We cut it out to create the mouth. Glue to the bottom of the orange oval.

Next, draw a very large circle or oval on two pieces of white paper.  Cut out and glue above the mouth for eyes.

Next draw a circle on two pieces of small black paper (2 x 2") for the pupils. Cut and glue onto the white paper.

Glue on a green stem.



Then lastly, I used white paper scrap from another project for teeth. These were pre-cut white squares.




These turned out remarkably cute and everyone was successful!  I will certainly do this project again!

No comments:

Post a Comment